What Will You Do?
For the daily operations, you are the second most senior person after the Chef De Cuisine. You will demonstrate, check and correct any preparation that is going out to be served to a guest and they should be very much involved with the daily operations in the kitchens. You should also share the vision of the property and would be hired on the basis of being able to contribute to the goals of the production team. A good and cooperative rapport with the Executive Chef / Chef De Cuisine is essential.
We don’t go for long winded job descriptions – we all roll our sleeves up and get stuck in wherever needed – but here's an idea of how we see the role;
- Direct Supervision of the Jr. Sous Chefs and Chefs de Partie.
- Lead the daily operation of the kitchen, including mis-en-place, rotation, production and food and safety standards.
- Overseeing all hygiene aspects of the kitchen.
- Involve in the staff discipline matter and also commendations for good performance.
- Help schedule, coordinate and execute training.
- Ensure adequate kitchen stock levels, rotation, storage and cleanliness.
- Supervise and ensure consistent quality in all aspects of the food product quality, and the development of new menu items.
- Ensure safety in the kitchen, correct machine usage and maintenance.
- Checking on personal hygiene and correct wearing of uniforms.
- Act as substitute for the Chef De Cuisine at departmental meetings in his absence.
- Help control the costs associated with the kitchen operation.
- Perform the tasks and responsibilities of the Chef De Cuisine in his absence for limited periods of time.
- Actively involved in guest relations, greeting, suggesting, and interacting, solving problems and in general creating a very friendly, but professional atmosphere.
- Handle the interaction between kitchen and restaurant staff, settling any disputes that may arise quickly and quietly.
- Ensure timely and quality service of our menu items according to service specifications and guest expectations.
Who Must You Be?
- Management Catering College or Apprenticeship in a well-respected, five-star establishment, having minimum of five years’ experience as Junior Sous Chef.
- Proven ability to operate training classes, in having attended “Train the Trainer” course or similar. Total experience should not be less than 6-7 years in the kitchen atmosphere, with a variety of positions demonstrating the desire to improve knowledge and experience, whilst at the same time showing a loyal and stable work record.
- Highly proficient in the areas of quality control, staff relations, guest service and to show a confidence in his or her ability to make an impact on our existing operation for the betterment of our guests’ dining experience.
- Well-rounded in knowledge, having experience in various aspects of kitchen operations such as Pastry, Butchery, Garde Manger and one specialty cuisine, as in Italian, Chinese, Thai etc.
- Experience overseas, or participation in a number of food promotions involving Expatriate chefs is an added advantage.
Who Are We?
Ormond Group rethinks hospitality for the contemporary traveller. Our vision is to create experiences that positively influence the way people live, work and have fun together. Our hotels are a collection of individually designed hotels, meaningful spaces that welcome all – guests, locals and nomads. Our people are at the heart and soul of our brand. An Ormond experience is about service that matters. We make our guests feel at ease and at home. Every experience is thoughtfully designed to leave a lasting impression.
Ormond Group owns and operates three distinct brands – Ormond Hotels, MoMo’s and Tune. We are backed by serial entrepreneurs and investors who have built (from scratch) successful, disruptive ventures such as AirAsia. Our shareholders and team are in turn committed to building a great business whilst having a lot of fun.